Historical Timeline of Cauldron
The following notes are things that any person could find out without any specialized knowledge (eg DC 20 or less). Characters that train the Knowledge: History skill can gradually uncover more.
- -700 years Founding of Redgorge The archmage Surabar Spellmason leads a small army inland from the newly founded city of (some place). He founds the city of Redgorge in the shadow of a great volcano raises the Basalt Bastions to protection his men while they begin building. The encroaching humans face near constant raids from the demonic forces of the Demonskar, as well as the local giants, gnolls, and yaun-ti.
- -695 years ago Founding of Liduton Kozomagon Lidu, another mage of grat power and a sometimes-associate of Surabar, arrives in the region and founds the village of Liduton.
- -690 years ago Battle of Redgorge Surabar defeats the demon Nabthatoron in combat and breaks the back of the demon host of Demonskar. While the place remains dangerous to this day, the demons never fully recover from this defeat. During the battle, the village of Liduton is razed by a host of undead abominations, seemingly unrelated to the demonic host. Kozomagon is unaccounted for and presumed dead. Liduton becomes known as the Haunted Village and is shunned.
- -680 years ago Founding of Cauldron Discovery of numerous profitable mines in the region attract hundreds of prospectors and adventurers. Redgorge quickly outgrows its walls. Surabar determines that the nearby volcano is extinct, and that its cauldron would make an excellent natural defense against attack from the remnants of Demonskar. Many of Redgorge’s inhabitants relocate to this region and Cauldron is founded. Over the centuries, the caverns beneath the city draw the attention of gnomes and dwarves and two of these regions become Jzadirune and the Malachite Fortress.
- -600 years Kingfisher Hollow and Hollowsky founded The citizens hold their own from the yuan-ti, and even drive them back from several small encampments along the jungle’s edge.
- -400 years ago Earthquake A massive earthquake rocks the jungle region, doing only incidental damage to the human settlements, but destroying the yaun-ti settlement of Shatterhorn. Organized yaun-ti activity comes to a halt.
- -200 years ago Hookface The first confirmed sighting of the red dragon Hookface occur in the region. His attacks on merchants and cities of the region continue intermittently for a century. No heroes are able to defeat the dragon.
- -100 years ago More dragons Confirmed sightings of Taliraxia, a female red dragon. Neither dragon is seen again, but younger red dragons begin to appear on the scene and cause random strife.
- -75 years Jzadirune abandoned the gnomes leave their subterrean home of Jzadirune and never return. Some of the gnomes chose to live in the surface city of Cauldron.
- -60 Giants The giants of the southern mountains become unified under a great frost giant jarl and remain a dire threat for nearly a decade. A band of adventurers eventually assassinate the jarl and the giants fall into anarchy.
- -32 years ago Floods The rainiest winter in centuries results in massive flood damage to the lower reaches of Cauldron. The Flood Festival is founded the next year, and for the next several years the freakishly wet winters continue before the weather finally returns to normal.
- -15 years ago New nobles House Vhalatru and house Vanderboren are founded, upsetting the centuries old power dynamics.
- -9 years ago A plot to murder the Lord Mayor is discovered and foiled. The ringleader, a young guardswoman named Triel, is sentenced to hang, but escapes prison on the eve of her execution, murdering several of her fellow guardsmen in the process. She eludes capture and becomes one of Cauldron’s most wanted criminals, although over the years her capture grows less of a concern.
- -7 years ago Plague A plague of filth fever strikes Cauldron. Several hundred die before the city’s clerics can get the plague under control.
- -2 years ago The three highest ranking clerics of Lathander fail to show up for their normal duties. No traces of them are found and they are never heard from again.